MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez claimed his third pole position in five races this season by grabbing the top spot in qualifying for the French Grand Prix.
Conditions were cold and wet at Le Mans as the riders battled tricky conditions at the French circuit, and Marquez suffered a spill during the final free practice session of the day as he came off at Turn 9.
But the Spanish star was typically unfazed by the fall and set the fastest time of the session before going into qualifying later in the day.
And, in rainy conditions, the Repsol Honda man recovered from an early fall at Turn 6 to power his #93 machine to the 55th MotoGP pole position of his career.
That mark sees Marquez draw level with MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi and moved him to just three poles behind all-time record holder Mick Doohan.
“Today was one of those days! The conditions meant you didn’t know if a slick or a wet tyre would be best with the light rain, it was really difficult,” said a happy Marquez after the session.
“In qualifying we knew we had to push on the first lap when there was the least water on track. Then with more water on track it got more difficult.
“I’m happy with this pole because it was a day where you could easily start from the back if you weren’t careful. Now we see what the weather does tomorrow!”
FRENCH GRAND PRIX: CONFIRMED MOTOGP GRID
- Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) – 1’40.952
- Danilo Petrucci (Mission Winnow Ducati) – 0.360
- Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) – 0.414
- Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati) – 0.600
- Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha) – 0.703
- Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) – 0.729
- Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) – 1.107
- Jorge Lorenzo (Repsol Honda) – 1.115
- Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team) – 1.498
- Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) – 1.557
- Maverick Vinales (Monster Energy Yamaha) – 1.603
- Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM) – No time set in Q2
Live Event Coverage
Whether it's The FA Cup Final or a UFC world title fight, covering live sport is an integral part of...
I’ve managed websites, worked on launches, managed brands and delivered content to digital platforms throughout my career.
Content For Print
I'm experienced at filing copy to tight deadlines and delivering 'on the whistle' reports, often directly from the events themselves.
As well as delivering written content, I can also shoot and edit video, as well as live-stream media events and...